I can’t remember the last time I bought a chocolate bar, not because I don’t like the ooey-gooey chocolately goodness of them... just because I don’t like the added sugar, fat, and preservatives. The solution? A simple healthy recipe with less than 7 ingredients and no refined sugar. A guilt free indulgence… and so easy to make. My friends and family loved them, and I can almost guarantee yours will too (if you can share, that is!).
2/3 cup coconut flour
¼ tsp kosher salt
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup or agave
1/3 cup coconut oil (solid)
½ cup Sunbutter (you could also use almond butter if you don’t have a nut allergy)
1/3 cup maple syrup or agave
1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ tsp kosher salt
¼ cup coconut oil, melted
¼ cup cocoa powder
2 tablespoons maple syrup
½ teaspoon course ground sea salt
(Note: depending on how healthy you want to be, you can also melt bakers chocolate, or chocolate chips over the top of the bars – saving time and adding some extra sweetness)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F). Grease a loaf pan (a 8x8 pan works as well).
2. Begin with the crust by combining coconut flour and salt in a bowl. Add the maple syrup and stir until fully combined and crumbly. Add room temperature coconut oil and mix until a dough forms – pressing out any clumps of coconut oil.
3. Press the dough into the sprayed pan and bake 9-10 minutes, or until the edges of the shortbread are golden brown in colour. Let the crust cool completely.
4. In a saucepan, combine all ingredients for the caramel filling. Stir until all of the ingredients are melted. Pour over the crust and place in the fridge to cool.
5. While the crust and caramel are cooling, heat the chocolate topping (except the salt) in a clean saucepan, whisking the ingredients together. Pour over the first two layers, and sprinkle with course ground sea salt to heighten the flavor.
6. Cut into slices and enjoy! Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Note: the units are not provided for these as they are a ‘treat’.
Be mindful of your consumption, and enjoy!